Thursday 13 September 2012

Contiki Part Three - Munich, Austrian Tyrol, Switzerland, Rhine Valley and Amsterdam

The final leg of our Contiki tour saw us head to Munich, Austrian Tyrol, Switzerland, Rhine Valley and Amsterdam. The realisation that our tour was coming to an end and Lis and I were going to be on our own in a week or so was a scary and sad thought. I never imagined making such close friends from this trip. It’s made it even more special that I have been able to share such incredible memories with such wonderful people.

After Vienna we were up nice and early for our trip to Munich, Germany. We all slept the entire was so I hope we didn't miss too much beautiful scenery. We arrived in Munich and it was SO hot, 32 degrees! I know that doesn't seem that hot compared to how hot it gets in Perth, but I haven't seen the sun or felt the heat for a while. We didn't have long in the city to sightsee but we did as much as we could, as well as fitting in some shopping. One of the main attractions that Munich has to offer is the Town Hall, which houses a famous Glockenspiel. Every day it chimes and re-enacts two stories from the 16th century, to the amusement of mass crowds of tourists and locals. It consists of 43 bells and 32 life-sized figures. We were there to see it in action. It lasts for about 12-15 minutes, yet after about 2 we had all seen enough. It was cool too see but quiet boring to be honest. After this we headed to our hostel to get dressed and ready for our dinner at a local beer hall. As we sat down for dinner and were bombarded with 1 litre beer steins. Once I had a few sips and the novelty photos Lis and I of course stuck to wine. The waitress was SO RUDE, Our first bad encounter. There were endless stuff ups with the orders and she loved yelling and causing a scene! The boys certainly gave her a run for her money. LUCKILY the pork knuckle I ordered was scrumptious! My mouth is watering just thinking about how good it was, mum would have been in heaven. Lis had schnitzel so we shared and that was also good. There was some really awful German entertainment that a few of us choose to ditch in favour of a glass of wine with the locals, which was really nice. The bus ride home was hilarious with Jeff providing some great entertainment. At the hostel we went down the bar for a few drinks before bed, yet it was FULL of 15 year old children on a school trip. Apparently it was ok because they weren't drinking and just dancing, but it was just weird so we didn't stay long!

Up early for yet another awful hostel breakfast (the camp sites are so much better as they are run by contiki staff)! Heading back to Austria today except this time to the Austrian Tyrol. Our first stop was about half an hour out of Munich, at Dachau Memorial Concentration Camp. The first Nazi concentration camp to open in Germany. What an experience it was. We saw the crematorium area which included a disinfecting room were people were told to strip off because they were having a shower. Their clothes were then burnt and they were pushed into a gas chamber, which was a room that literally looked like shower heads were coming from the ceiling. Roughly 150 people were pushed in there at a time, and then their bodies were cremated! The actual incinerators that we saw were absolutely awful; I can't even begin to explain how bad seeing it was. Being at and seeing Dachau with my own eyes was the most sombering experience. I didn't realise how much it would actually affect me, let’s just say the bus ride afterwards was very quiet. I think everyone was reflecting on what we had just witnessed. We arrived at our camp in Hopfgarten, which was surrounded by pristine hills and lakes. After dinner (more schnitzel) we had yet another themed party, this time it was it was 'tight, bright and sparkly'! Not so keen on the 'tight' side, luckily I had a bright green dress to wear and got creative with mine and Lisa's makeup for the 'sparkly' aspect. We had another great night dancing up a storm and our tour guide proceeded to get quite intoxicated which was hilarious! The night ended about 3am with Lis and I resorting to a snack on the stairs before bed time.

Today we were up early and after breakfast prepared ourselves for a 25km bike ride throughout the Austrian mountains. Some people were feeling a little worse for wear from the night before and others didn't even make it out of bed. Lis and I were just excited to finally be doing some real exercise. The first part of the ride was ALL UP HILL! I managed to stay with the front of the pack yet it was a struggle, I can honestly say I don’t think anyone found it easy! We stopped half way for some fresh natural spring water out of the stream... Bliss! Our way down was much easier and fun, we built up quite a speed as we were up higher than I though. The scenery for the entire 25km was simply breathtaking. The luscious green hillside, perfect tiny cottages and some beautiful streams made for probably the most picturesque bike ride I will ever do. We made it back to camp for a BBQ lunch to reward our hard efforts and it was surprisingly ok. After lunch it was time for some more adventure sports...PARAGLIDING! Something I never thought I’d do, yet I was in Austrian and it just felt right. Lisa was super excited and I was secretly crapping myself. I’m not the best with heights and to be honest I’ve cried on rollercoasters before, so it was going to be interesting. Obviously not everyone choose to do this optional and surprisingly most of the boys opted out. We arrived at the bottom of the mountain and met our tandem partners. Mine seemed nice; I just prayed he knew how to open a parachute! We hopped on a cable car that took us to the top. As we were going up I was realising very quickly how high we were actually going as the ride seemed to take forever (about 2000m high). We got off and my tandem driver strapped me up. He explained that I had to run as fast as I could off the edge of the cliff (WHAT?!) and that the wind would pick us up and he would do the rest! All I could think was 'please don’t die I have 3 more weeks of travelling to do'! Before I could back out we were sprinting off the edge of the cliff and then we were UP UP AND AWAY! I could not believe what I was actually doing, pretty much flying over the Austrian Tyrol. It was absolutely amazing. Yes I panicked at the start when I saw how high we were and had butterflies most of the way, but those feelings were overcome by the stunning surroundings. After about 10 minutes in the sky, where I did some recording, we slowly made our way back down and landed safely on our bottoms. It was the most exhilarating thing I have ever done and I’m so glad I did it. Back at camp we freshened up after such an action packed morning and then Sam, Monique, Sarah, Elli, Lis and I decided to head to the local trout farm for a spot of fishing. We paid €8 and were kitted out with some bait and a rode. The lake we were fishing in was beautiful. I was the first to catch a fish, dad would be proud! As much as growing up with brothers and being quite the tom boy, I couldn’t bring myself to whack it with a piece of wood like the owner was insisting, so he had to do the honours and kill it for me. Not long after Lis and the other girls caught one too so the owners cleaned them up and cooked it for us to enjoy. Considering I don’t like fish, it was really nice and I was highly impressed. Monique was the only one to kill her own fish and I was very proud of her. We had such a fun and random afternoon, it was great. Back at camp for dinner which we didn’t eat as we were full from our fish. Afterwards everyone headed to the Aussie bar in town. The tiny town of Hopfgarten relies heavily on tourists, hence the Aussie bar. We were so exhausted from our day so didn’t last long before we headed home to bed. I have absolutely loved this part of Austria and it is certainly one of my favourite spots. So many great memories have been made here and the place itself, I could not fault. It just keeps getting better.

On the bus bright and early for a trip to Switzerland. Our first stop was at Swarovski crystal world. This place was pretty incredible. It held the world’s largest cut crystal and a 10 meter high wall full of crystals that ran the full length of the building. I resisted temptation and didn’t buy anything yet admired it all. Some girls spent €500 on rings!! Back on the bus where we then stopped off for lunch in Lichtenstein, one of the smallest countries in the world. It’s doubly land blocked by Austria and Switzerland and is the only country to lie entirely within the Alps. From what we saw it was pretty cool, we got our passports stamped too. The thing with this trip is because we drive everywhere we don’t get our passports stamped to remember where we have been. Luckily I brought lots of postcards and have my trusty blog. After lunch we headed for Lucerne in Switzerland. It is located on the shore of Lake Lucerne and one of the city’s most famous landmarks is the Chapel Bridge, which was built in the 14th century. The bridge was remarkable and looked so perfect running over the lake. It was pouring with rain which dampened (literally) the afternoon a little. We visited a Swiss army knife shop which didn’t appeal to me at all and then a Swiss watch shop which was ok but nothing jumped out at me. Lis and I then snuck off and found a much more appealing shop for us both, SWISS CHOCOLATE. We brought some delicious chocolates that’s we ate on the way back to the bus, they were SO good! Where we were staying in the Alps was another two hour drive from Lucerne up a long and windy mountain. Unfortunately I was looking at photos for longer than I should have and got travel sick. Lis was quick to get me a bag and the boys on the back seat where great. It was one of the only times I just wanted to get off the bus. We finally arrived at camp which was certainly set in the most beautiful spot yet. We were surrounded my mountain ranges and incredible running waterfalls, I can’t explain how beautiful it was. After dinner everyone took in the scenery for a while before heading to bed.

Lis and I woke up super early today to get a shower in, as for the first time they were communal! After breakfast we met up with some of our friends for our adventure in Switzerland today. We took the old fashioned cog railway up to the top of the Jungfrau Mountain, also known as 'The top of Europe'! It took two hours to reach the top and at 3571 meters we were up super high. The temperature was about -5.8 degrees and the wind was so icy, yet the sun was shining. We played in the Ice, writing our names and eating some whilst acting like we were 10 years old! It was so great, the first time Lis had seen and touched snow and we got to do it together, we really have done it all! The sun made it so bright and glary that if you didn't have sunglasses you would have struggled. Once the first snowball was thrown we got away quick smart, as we didn't want to be soaking wet for our journey back to camp. The change in altitude made my asthma play up slightly but we had been warned it would, so I had my puffer in tow. We had a nice hot chocolate to finish our day in the snow. On the way down the view was mesmerising. From snow and Alps to lush green hillsides with flowing waterfalls. We got back to camp and joined the boys for a debrief of our fun afternoon and a few drinks. After dinner we had another party that was Swiss themed. As I had nothing red or white it was the only party I didn't dress up for. Lis and I enjoyed some Champagne which we hadn’t had in a while, but as the bar was underground it was so hot. I felt like a smoker going outside for air every 5 minutes. Another great night was had and the realisation was starting to sink in that there wouldn't be many more nights like this to enjoy together.

Today we were heading to the Rhine Valley in Germany for the night. We stopped off at a small town half way there for a coffee and Lis did a spot of shopping. We then stopped at another town for an awful contiki dinner (all dinners they supply are awful). Afterwards we had a demonstration at a beer stein and cuckoo clock shop; we got into the spirit of it all, but resisted the temptation to buy anything. The shops they take us too are so overpriced; they must live off naive coktiki travellers. You wonder down the street and find the same thing at half the price! People still love the concept though and some people brought up big. Unfortunately I missed it last night, but Mike one of the Greek boys from Melbourne who we love was quite intoxicated and proposed to Lisa (our roommate from Sydney not my Lisa)! So it was this big joke today and as we were staying the night in the middle of nowhere with not a lot to do, everyone decided it would make for some great entertainment if we planned a mock wedding for the two of them! Mike even printed invitations at one of our stops. Monique and I picked flowers and found a veil. Lisa the bride is so shy so the whole thing is quite hilarious. yet I loved every minute of it. After we got the necessities we headed to wine tasting in this really old cellar. We tried some beautiful wines including ice wine which I had never heard of! It was way too sweet, but Lis loved it and purchased a bottle to take home. We made it to the hostel and it was time to prep for the Big Wedding, a first in contiki history apparently! Lis, Monique, Sam and I were bridesmaids so we made bouquets and wore long dresses and Mike had all the Greek boys as his groomsmen. There was a page boy, flower girl, mother and father of the bride and Jimmy our tour leader was the Priest of course. The whole thing was hilarious, it got a little wired at some points but everyone had a laugh and enjoyed Champagne to celebrate.

Heading to Amsterdam today everyone was excited, although it meant our last few days together. Our first stop was a little town in the Netherlands called Edam. We were scheduled to have a bike ride, yet this was cancelled due to the rain. Instead we headed to a cheese and clog factory. It was so cute. We had a demonstration on how they make clogs and tasted too much cheese. Lis and I brought a smoked black pepper block to enjoy while we were in Amsterdam. Back on the bus where our tour leader gave a speech all about drugs and the difference between cafes and coffee shops (where you buy marijuana), I'm glad he cleared that one up! We arrived at our hotel and had a pretty nice room with the four of us girls. We headed into town and did a bit of a walking tour. We strolled through the red light district which was certainly an eye opener. Girls in windows EVERYWHERE! I didn’t realise how many there would be and certainly didn’t expect them to be as beautiful as they were! It was extremely seedy though, so I’m glad we didn’t spend all night there. After seeing a few more attractions we headed to a bar for a few drinks and then a few of us left to go for a dance. We headed home about 2am and had a little picnic with our group and indulged in the cheese we brought.

Today is our last full day together as a whole group. We started the morning by exploring the city on canal bikes. Canal bikes are little boats you peddle around the canals. Lis and I paired up with James and Chris because you needed four people per boat. Weird considering only two of you can peddle at a time. James and Chris did most of the peddling because Lisa and I sucked! Firstly we could barely reach the paddles and then it seemed we lacked the coordination to peddle and steer at the same time! We had a few close encounters with the sides. The boys were great though and Lis and I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. We sore some beautiful parts of Amsterdam, which was a nice change from the red light district. The house and canals are really cute and make Amsterdam a beautiful city. After two hours on the canals we stopped and the four of us headed off to get lost in the city. We walked through an extremely dodgy gypsie fleet market and then down the main shopping streets (a lot like London I think)! After some lunch we headed back to the hotel to get ready for our last night. We started the night with a canal cruise, this was really nice and the driver was telling us all about the famous monuments and places. To be honest not many people were paying attention as everyone want to get there last photos with everyone. We arrived at our 'floating restaurant' the 'Sea Palace' which was a Chinese buffet. Strange, but we hadn't had any Asian food in weeks so it was a nice change. We sat with our favourite group of 10 and the food was actually really enjoyable. The free wine was drinkable too which was a bonus. After dinner we headed out for one last farewell pub crawl. I lasted until about 2am and then made my way home.

We got up bright and early to say goodbye to the bus as it was heading back to London. Half of our group including us where staying in Amsterdam for another night before continuing on with other travels. Most of our favourites where staying too so we didn’t have to say too many sad goodbyes. Monique who had become Lis and I's new bestie was heading back to London unfortunately, so it was really sad saying goodbye to her. She was really upset and didn’t want to leave. I knew we had made friends for life and would see each other again soon (we have since skyped 3 times)! We waved goodbye to the bus, our transport for the last 4 weeks and the great memories that came with it. We were now on our own, with no guide or structure to our days. The left overs all hung around down stairs for a while before having to say goodbye to Sam, Lisa and Michael, our roommates who were flying to Greece. That was sad too and our 'A' team was no more. Time for lunch so myself Lis and the boys all headed in to town for some food and a general wonder. We met up with the rest of the left overs for dinner together before saying a few more goodbyes. We were all pretty exhausted from today, so headed back to the hotel early. Lis and I had booked our extra nights at the same hotel and were lucky that we didn't have to change rooms. James, Costa, Chris and Michael or the 'Greek Boys' as we like to call them were flying to Greece at 5am and didn’t have a room booked, so lucky for them we had the extra beds they could use.

This morning saw more sad goodbyes, this time to the 'Greek Boys'! These guys provided us with so much entertainment and were honestly the best. All so different, yet so much fun. We had all become really close and they loved eating with us because we always knew the best places to go. I cannot wait to visit them in Melbourne. Today Lis and I ventured out by ourselves to explore the Anne Frank Museum. We actually got to walk through and experience the annex where she and her family hid during the holocaust. It was so real, interesting and super sad. Especially considering we had been to Dachau concentration camp and seen that side of it and now to experience this. We saw letters she had written and mocks of how she had her room set up. It was something I had really wanted to see and I am so glad we went. We took photos out the front of her actual house a couple of doors down too. We then found a little Dutch restaurant for lunch where we indulged in croquettes and bitterbollens, a Dutch speciality that were really tasty. Time to visit the Van Gough Museum. It was good, but hard not to compare it to the Louvre. Let’s face it, nothing compares to that beauty. We did get to see the famous 'Sunflowers' portrait though which was great. Time to meet up with the remaining group which was only about ten of us. Kate and Elli are two beautiful girls from Adelaide who we have become close to on tour and are staying at the same hotel as us, so we all hang out together. After dinner we headed back to the hotel for a quiet night. It’s so strange being by ourselves and not having had a drink for two days!

Our last day in Amsterdam saw Lisa wake up with suspected conjunctivitis and myself with the awful rash I have had back home that makes my whole body swell and is extremely uncomfortable. The doctors have no idea what it is and it sure beats me. I can’t believe our last day and we are both a mess. It didn't stop us though. As bad as we felt we had to get out for our last day. Lis had to buy a suitcase as hers broke on the first day and we managed to sneak in a well needed pedicure. We met up with Joel, Nick, Kate and Elli for a tour of the Heineken factory, where we got to see the history, how the beer is made and finally got to try some actual beer. I didn’t enjoy myself as much as I could have because I just wasn’t feeling the best, but it was good.  Our final goodbyes to Kate and Elli which were sad and then Nick and Joel, we had become super close to these two and I’m going to miss them so much. Hopefully our paths will cross again as they are spending 6 months in Europe. Lis and I then headed back to our hotel to grab our cases before going to the airport for our 10pm flight to Spain and then onto Croatia.
 
Never in a million years did I think I would have as much fun on contiki as I did. From the places we saw, food we indulged in, people we met and every experience in between was just perfect. I met people I will be friends with for life andgot to make so many amazing memories along the way with my best friend.

My next blog will cover our sail through Croatia, the Greek Islands, the Olympics and life back in London town.

Until next week...

Xxx

 

No comments:

Post a Comment